Home » Exploratory Essay Reflection

Exploratory Essay Reflection

While writing my exploratory essay about fairy tales, I chose Cinderella and Little Red Riding Hood. Before writing the actual essay, I brainstormed and tried to factor in the lessons taught to me in class about what an exploratory essay is. An exploratory essay is not a persuasive essay. I truly tried to not be biased and make such a strong stance because I am so used to writing a persuasive essay. In addition the reason why I chose Cinderella and Little Red Riding Hood was because Cinderella is a story that has been retold and rewritten many times. I knew that if I chose Cinderella there would be a lot for me to write about. Cinderella is one of the oldest written fairy tales and there are so many versions of it from many parts of the world. When writing my essay I tried to appeal to the inner child in everyone because who doesn’t love a Cinderella movie or story. I think I did a good job in not being biased and not taking a stance. 

I feel that I should have also given a different side of what people thought about Cinderella and LRRH. Even though I didn’t pick a side, I also could have given more evidence of different opinions or interpretations about the stories. My hook could have been better. It was a little bit cliche, but I was trying to grab the reader’s attention and make things relatable. Like “oh yea, I remember that feeling”! With that being said, this assignment has helped me learn from my mistakes. I know what to do the next time I write an exploratory essay. Practice makes perfect and that’s what I need to do to get better.  In doing this essay, I have also learned the different interpretations of fairy tales and the characteristics made in fairy tale writings that help draw the readers in.